Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Going Off Track


In this post I'm going to derail but stay with me, there is a point to all of this madness. Over the past few months I've really been thinking about what I really want to do. I dumping all of this money into school and I want to get a degree in something that I love to do. Right now I'm going for my degree in Mechanical Engineering. The problem with that is, I do it on an everyday basis. I design, build, and automate industrial machinery for various manufacturing plants. I'm content with what I do, but it doesn't make me happy. I work too much and I just don't feel like I have a life anymore.


For the past couple of months my wife and I have been talking about what will make me happy. I have decided to change my major to Aviation. I already have a private pilots license and want to go all of the way with it. I love flying so much that I would like to make a profession out of it. The good thing is that all of the classes that I've taken this far work with the Professional Pilots program at OSU.


The down side to all of this is it will consist of a lot of traveling. With the new one on the way I would really like to be around my family as much as possible. The great thing about my wife is she is very understanding and she sees how excited I get when I talk about flying. She is behind me 100% and that's what I love about her.


Problem number 2 is that I've never jumped outside the box. I've always done what is comfortable and where I don't need to take risk. In my job now I know what to expect from day to day. Now I'm stepping into a whole new world. Sometimes I think I live for the stress and I actually feed off of it some how.

1 comment:

Cap'n Fatback said...

Wow. You're a man of many talents, zx. Good luck.